Blessed are the organ donors.


 It's July 10th, 2019, and I'm in a helicopter speeding to Advent Health Hospital in downtown 

Orlando after spending days completely out of my body, mind, and soul at home, not

knowing what was happening to me other than I was hurting everywhere especially in the 

upper body area.

Over the next 238 days I was in the hospital, entering eventually coming home on 

March 4th 2020.

In the beginning I was in and out of a coma for forty five days as they attempted to find out why

the numbers on the machines were going beserk. 

No one knew was going on with me, with the exception of it seemed to center around my heart.

I was 'code blue' multiple times a day in the beginning although I have no memory of that or scans 

that were performed during my stay.

I couldn't talk, move my arms and legs, or do much except lay there, count the acoustic tiles,

and think to myself, "now I know the definition of the word, surreal.'

Eventually I was healthy enough to be able to make it through an eleven hour surgery receiving heart 

and kidney transplants on January 20-21 of 2020.

This would have not been possible without the Medina family's willingness to donate the heart

and kidney of their middle son, Carlos.They saved my life and my families life.

Blessed are the organ donors, the 'agents of second chances.', the 'givers of life.'

It's a tremendously bold decision to have doctors and surgeons take organs out of a 

loved ones body to give life to someone else. 

Today I am grateful beyond words that, that decision was made. 

Blessed are the organ donors...every day in my life.


Comments